What is Social Engineering?
Is it social engineering or the engineering of society? Some would argue that both statements are true. While having a strong hardware and software platform to defend against malicious attackers and unauthorized access helps, our connected world has allowed attackers to gain new and innovative methods of accessing your sensitive data.
Is It Truly a Threat?
Contrary to popular belief that social engineering has little impact on security, over 60% of all breaches resulting in data loss against a secured network are results of social engineering. That's 60% of all breaches resulting from human error, with the remaining 40% of breaches resulting from hardware or software failure. That's not to say that an emphasis on one or the other is more important. What is important is the training, education and knowledge of your personnel in the benefits as well as dangers of the internet.
One highly effective method of social engineering is the use of phishing emails. We all have "recognized" senders: our bosses, parents, friends and even other vendors. When victims receive an email which is perceived from coming through a trusted source, the content as well intent behind the email is usually malicious.
A typical example is when a victim receives a phishing email masquerading as an email from a bank with fake links. Those links direct the unsuspecting victim to a website where they input their sensitive information, which is then sent to an unauthorized user.
How Do We Prevent This?
Through consistent training and refresher courses, we strive to educate your organization in identifying the different approaches being employed by malicious individuals.
As new and clever methods of stealing your data emerge, our training will provide your personnel with vital information with which to combat the ever evolving scheme of data loss.
Whether you're a small business or work in a multi-million dollar industry, if you have clients or employees, you need to consider your network security before you experience a security threat.
We do not charge per unit, but per organizational location, allowing us to dedicate as much time and resources as necessary to ensure a full and complete assessment, followed up by a comprehensive maintenance package.
We offer 100% free and zero-commitment security consultations. Call us today at 719.301.6280 or fill out the contact card below and we'll reach out to you!